Sunday, July 13, 2008

Things to do before I die #17: Start an Orphange.





I love that I got sent a reminder of this today via email. I made a list sometime during college of 43 things to do before I die, and randomly every 6 months or so, the site will send me a reminder of one of the things. Today it was a reminder to: Start an Orphanage. It's just awesome, because although I'm not starting one, I'm joining a ministry organization that is, and I spent the whole day (my first day here in Mae Sot) with 6 orphaned kids at a safe house, and pretty much my whole next year is going to be like this.

I also made a pact of sorts during college with a friend of mine (Yo Haz!) that when she was finished with med school in 8 years (making the year 2008) that we would start up a street kids home. She was gonna do medical stuff and I was gonna love and care for the kids. Well... it's not exactly happening in India (yet! Who knows...!) but it's kinda funky that this is where life (or God) has taken me and I end up doing that very thing in SE Asia in 2008.

Living the Dream (as my friend Courtney would say!)
I love that this year is going to be full of adventures and that my awesome organization is so flexible and has given me freedom to pursue the things I love. So when my friend asked me "What is your Dream?" I said... "I think I'm going to be living it this year!" Doing art with kids, Getting to be a Photojournalist of sorts, writing stories, learning a new language, digging into a new culture, living with Karen hilltribe people, helping refugees, street kids and orphans. Wow, God is amazing and has blessed me with such a sweet opportunity. Check out the website Compasio.org to learn more about my org.

What's on YOUR list of things to do before you die? Please post comments in response! :)

1 comment:

MaryAnn Elizabeth said...

Eeek!!!
Rachel, this is so cute!
I love all the pictures of the kids and stuff.
And I'm glad you're enjoying what you're doing... :)
Miss you!
-Mar